2.10.2008

joking

Trent does this thing. Awhile back he began this perennial practical joke, where he leaves the stereo on this uber-conservative Christian talk radio station, so that when I get in the car, that is what's playing.

I'll admit, it's funny. And usually I can just laugh, roll my eyes, and turn the dial back to MPR or Cities (I SO wish I was musically hip enough to like the Current more, but most days, I'm just not) where it usually is.

But every once in awhile (this happened yesterday), that station is like a train wreck, and I can not tear myself away from. I listen to it. Only to find myself getting annoyed, angry, or terribly sad (I'm big on yelling back at the announcers). But I can't seem to turn it off. Do you ever do that to yourself? Listen to (or watch or read) something just to allow yourself to be critical or self-righteous or depressed? It's a poisonous habit. I wish I was above it, but so far I am not. And in this case, for each minute I listen to that station, I feel any hope or optimisim I might have about the Christian faith bleeding out of me. Not good.

The thing is, it is exceedingly easy for me to be critical of so much within Christianity. But it's often pointless and not at all helpful. That said, I do think there is some place for it. A place for knowing what you don't believe ... what you reject. And knowing why you don't believe it. And why you reject it. But it's tempting to get stuck there and not move on.

I think, in part, because the next step is infinitely harder. Defining what you do believe ... what is meaningful and real.

I'm trying to focus on the second step ... although sometimes I find myself wallowing in the first. It's a work in progress. But first things first. I really must stop listening to that radio station. And (tragically) I guess that means no more 700 Club either.